5 Wedding Day Don’ts
We have filmed plenty of weddings over the years, and most have been wonderful!! But there have been a few where we just stand there and shake our heads and say “what were you thinking!” Here are some tips of what you don’t want as part of your wedding day:
- Avoid the cake smashing, please!! The cake cutting portion of the reception is one of the more intimate and romantic moments of the day. From a filmmakers perspective it is a great moment between the couple. Don’t ruin it by thinking it would be fun to smash cake into each other’s faces. Not romantic.
- Sometimes I will get asked “can you interview guests, we would love that for our wedding video.” I am here to tell you no, you wouldn’t. In fact, many wedding filmmakers won’t do reception interviews (us included). The quality of wedding films has improved vastly over the past 10 years, and wedding films have become short movies that tell a story. Interviews during the reception is antiquated and really doesn’t add anything to the wedding film itself. Do you really want to hear what your inappropriate drunk uncle has to say to you? Really?.
- Reception music can go very wrong very fast! Make sure you have a good DJ or give clear instructions on what music not to play. No one wants to hear the Macarena anymore!! Make sure you have a “do not play” list so the DJ is clear what you don’t want to hear. A good Dj will get a feel for the crowd and keep everyone on the dance floor. Bad music makes for a bad reception.
- Avoid large gaps between ceremony and reception. A good photographer is organized and will minimize the amount of time taking group pictures before the reception. But just remember if you are out there taking pictures for two hours, your guests are just sitting around waiting for you to arrive. .
- Don’t stress the small stuff. One thing I tell all my brides is that something will go wrong. Usually it is something small, but don’t focus on that. Focus on the fact that you and your fiancee are about to start your new lives together. That is the focus of the day. The day goes quick so make sure you enjoy every moment!!!
Red Leaf Films is a NC based video production and film company specializing in wedding films and commercials for small businesses. Red Leaf Films services Charlotte, Asheville, and surrounding areas.